There are many things in our lives that can and do create stress and anxiety. Unfortunately, constant stress and anxiety can eventually have harmful long term effects on us mentally and physically unless we do something proactive about it. For example, according to Web MD, constant stress and anxiety can cause headaches, digestive problems, high blood pressure, chest pain, and problems with sex and sleep. It can also lead to depression and frequent panic attacks. But you don’t have to accept stress and anxiety as a constant in your life, in fact there are things that you can do today to help minimize both.
Below are some of the activities that I’ve done to de-stress and to ease anxiety:
- Coloring. Adults can color too! There are many adult coloring books that you can find at places like Barnes and Nobles and Target.
- Completing a puzzle. Buy a 500-piece puzzle and spend at least 30 minutes, each day after work just working on that puzzle until it’s completed.
- Listening to music. I have a calm jams playlist on my IPod that I listen to. This playlist includes India Arie, Robert Glasper, and Lianne La Havas. You can make your own playlist and include whatever songs calm your soul.
- Journal writing. Writing down your thoughts and feelings unfiltered.
- Exercising. A great way to physically release your stress and anxiety is through exercise. You can also try taking a group exercise class if working out solo isn’t your thing.
- Weekly at home spa nights. Bring out the face masks, body scrubs, nail polish, and treat yourself to a nice bath. Shea Moisture has a ton of affordable and healthy body scrubs and face masks. You can also YouTube tons of homemade and easy recipes.
- Prayer. Praying (for those of us who feel comfortable with doing so) or rather having a conversation with God about all of the things that weigh heavily on our hearts and giving it all to Him can also help release stress and anxiety. Plus, He is a wonderful listener!
- Counseling. Sometimes the things that cause us stress and anxiety require the help of a professional and that is perfectly okay! Talking to an expert that can give you personalized tools that you can apply to your specific situation can be incredibly beneficial too.
These are just a few ways in which you can try to de-stress and there are plenty more out there. But getting rid of stress and anxiety completely, isn’t something that will happen over night. It’s going to take time and you are going to have to schedule that time to make it happen. So, pull out your agenda or smart phone and choose a time and try your best to stick to it!
In addition to doing some of those activities it’s also important to face those things that are stressing you out and make a separate plan as to how you will deal with those issues once and for all. Again, sometimes that plan might involve seeking help from a professional or getting some other specific resources to help you, like joining a help group or taking a class. No matter what you decide to do, refuse to let stress and anxiety dominate your life!
Cassandre Joseph is a blogger, writer, creator, and motivator. She loves to use her writing and her voice to empower women to be their best selves. She recently launched her blog, which is dedicated towards creating inspirational content for women on their faith walk journeys. She also enjoys writing about issues related to race, gender, and womanism. When she is not writing, you can find her curled up reading a great book or planning her next adventure. Currently she is working on her novel entitled “What you’re suppose to do is…” You can follow her on her website or insta